About Internet Shakespeare Editions:
Internet Shakespeare editions (ISE) is a scholarly archive that focuses on three main areas: Shakespeare’s plays and poems, Shakespeare’s life and times, and Shakespeare in performance. Since 1996, ISE has published all kinds of Shakespearean texts including ld-spelling transcriptions, modern editions, and facsimile images of original works.
How To Navigate ISE:
Advanced Text Search:
– The easiest way to navigate ISE is to click “Advanced text search” under the Resources tab.
– From here, you can search through all digital works on the site, expanding or narrowing the scope of your search to look within the main text, stage directions, marginalia, etc.
– You can also choose to focus exclusively on Shakespeare’s works, on non-Shakespeare texts, or on selected works.
The Reading Rooms:
– If you scroll down on the homepage of ISE, you’ll find the four reading rooms.
– The Foyer introduces you to the mission, the history, and the teams that create the editions of the ISE.
– Here you can also find the archive’s newsletter, The Shakespeare Herald, which appears twice a year.
– The Library contains fully-edited versions of Shakespeare’s plays and poems, critical and reference materials, and a full exploration of the context of Shakespeare’s writing.
– You can also find articles on Shakespeare’s life and times to help you understand the societal context of his work.
– The Theater section of ISE showcases many of Shakespeare’s performances on both stage and film.
– This part of the database is devoted to chronicling past and current productions based on his works.
– The Annex section provides links to texts and articles about Shakespeare that have not yet had full scholarly reviews.
The tabs on ISE will also help you navigate through this vast archive.
Plays & Poems:
– Under this tab, you can find a long list of Shakespeare’s works. Once you click on a title, it will bring you to a page with additional information, including one or more editions of the work you’ve chosen.
– You can also find the “Facsimile Viewer,” which shows you actual scans of each physical text.
Life & Times:
– Under this tab, you can find articles about the world in which Shakespeare lived and worked.
– These works focus on his life, involvement with the stage, society and its history, ideas, drama, literature, and plays.
– Under the “Performance” tabs, there is access to material from over 1000 performances having to do with Shakespeare’s works, including costume designs, posters, set lists, etc.
– You can also read reviews and search artifacts from the performances.
– This tab offers links to the most recent performance reviews of Shakespeare’s plays submitted by the ISE Performance Chronicle, a journal devoted to reviews of contemporary Shakespeare theater.
– At the top, you will see a highlight of the most recent shows that they have reviewed.
– You can submit your own reviews after registering with the site, or simply read what others are saying about current performances of Shakespeare.
– This tab lists several related resources, as well as a “Directory of Reliable Sites on Shakespeare and the Renaissance,” to provide further information about Shakespeare and the Early Modern Period.
– You can also find different plays, poems, works of fiction and other documents written by other authors from the same time period.
– Critical introductions, bibliographies, and chronologies are also listed here.